Thursday, October 25, 2007

National Geographic: Explorer/ North Korea

Last night on Nat-Geo (funny how everyone has to have a COOL name these days) I watched Explorer. I typically stay away from most TV other than the kids stuff, and a good documentary, and a good movie every now and then. But this one really caught my eye. I didn't realize at all what I was getting into. If you want to watch a Horror show this Halloween season, watch this! But trust me... it's not the kind of horror film that you're used to seeing. I can describe it in three words..disturbing, scary, and sad.

I was aware that the guy running North Korea, Kim Jong-Il, was a bit of a dictator. And I was aware that they had some nuclear weapons. But I'm just not that much into politics and world news, so I must sadly admit, I keep my distance. So obviously, I don't know much. I assume that I'm not the only person in the world who just doesn't want to try to wrap their mind around world news. So, if your like me, and haven't a clue what's going on over there, you will find this quite interesting.

To sum up this documentary, Lisa Ling went in undercover with a Napali eye surgeon and recorded what she saw 'inside'. In this country it's all about their "great leader". This guy isn't a 'great leader', he's a 'cult leader'. The people of N. Korea worship and praise Kim Jong-Il. They have been brainwashed from birth to worship his father Kim Il Sung, and now him. They have prison camps that they will send a persons whole family to, if that person messes up, complains, or doesn't bow down to this man (and I use the word 'man' loosely.) He has statues, pictures and billboards of himself all over the place (Way worse than Saddam Hussein did.) He has a million man army that he is in complete control of. He has nuclear weapons and he alone is in control of "the button". The citizens are poor, malnourished, and lacking medical care, while they give their all to their leader, who lavishes himself in expensive imports of all kinds. It's pathetic. Watching the documentary; my stomach turned several times. And they weren't even showing blood and gore, just a narcissistic, self centered, wretched little man, and the poor, sad, sickly people that he was controlling. I just wanted to throw up...on Kim Jong-Il. (lol---ugh) He has even been known to say that if things start going down on his country, he'll take the rest of the world with him, if he can. Makes you think a bit more on his sole control of "the button" doesn't it?

After watching the show, I couldn't even go to sleep. It really was terribly disturbing. I kept thinking about those poor people who can't even have a chance to know God, who are dieing every day without Him. And I felt, as I often do feel about this sad world around me, helpless. That's when I know it's time to do the only thing that I can do in many situations, PRAY. I can't pray enough for these people. Please pray with me! These people need the opportunity to know God. Pray that they will get it. And pray with me for Mr. Kim Jong-Il. He obviously needs something in his life, and look what he has done looking for it. His grand-mother was a devout Christian. I hope a thread of that has been passed down to him. I pray that he will find Jesus, repent, and turn to God. Sadly, that may be the only way the people in that country will have a chance.

1 Timothy 2:1-4 (New International Version)
1. I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— 2. for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4. who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Watch it again on National Geographic channel on Wed. 11/07 3pm.

No comments: