Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Way or the Highway

Today I read a short article titled "My Way or the Highway" and it talked about letting God be in control of our lives. The title led me to deeper thinking that was based more on the title rather than the article. It mentioned Galatians 2:20 “It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me.” and how Paul chose the way of Christ rather than his own. Which is definitely the way Christians need to live. But the scripture that immediately came to my mind was from Matthew 7:13-14 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." If that is not the Ultimate Savior telling us "It's my way or the highway", then I don't know what is.

When I was young my Grandmother always sent Christian tracts in with birthday cards and other correspondence. She was a very godly woman choosing to serve God in every way and keeping away from worldly things. She was 70 years older than me, and died when I was 26. One time there was a "to do list" page sent with my card. On it she wrote out Matthew 7: 13-14 and then at the bottom wrote "Read Psalms and Proverbs". I kept it in my bible for years. Unfortunately, I rarely opened my bible except for at church (when I was even going to church). When I was about 31, I started searching. I knew I needed a real relationship with God. I was raised in a Christian home with an extended family who were mostly Christians, but somehow I had missed something. I went to church for a few years but just wasn’t finding what I needed. Then when I finally did start going to my current church, my pastor would start every Sunday sermon with Psalm 1:1-3 "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." From that time, it didn't take long to instill in me the importance of reading and studying the Word of God. As I did, I found that old "to do list" and realized my grandmothers concern for my soul. She was inadvertently, but in a deliberate way, giving me the message "It's Gods way or the Highway". Take the narrow path, not the highway, and you will see the glory of God. What awesome promises those scriptures hold! Pursue God’s Words, and live. Study His word and you will be blessed. Now, as I live and serve my Lord, I am blessed daily. Even in bad circumstances, sometimes doing things for the Lord that I really would rather not do, even when I am criticized for standing on and for the Word of God, I am blessed.

Sometimes in this world it is easier to just keep quiet, and do our own thing, rather than get involved in exposing sin (Luke 17:3) and standing unashamed of the gospel (Romans 1:16) I have experienced this first hand, and even in my church, but I can say that God is always encouraging me daily through His Word, and showing me love and blessing when I do what is right. Just knowing that I am sharing Christ and just knowing that He is living in and through me is a blessing in itself. And through the pain, heartache, sorrow, trouble, criticism, and rejection, I am continually revived by God. I am given peace and understanding through all situations. God is so faithful.

2 Corinthians 4: 8-12 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.

You could take the highway, it’s easy, it’s fast, and it will get you where you’re going a lot quicker. But you know what it’s like to be in a crowd. It’s aggravating, annoying, hot and miserable. The people don’t care about you. And if you stumble, you’ll be run over. Your friends will leave you behind if they find a faster lane. And what if your car breaks down? And do you even know where that highway is taking you?

Take the narrow path...
The path may be covered with sticks and rocks so you might stub your toes or get a scratch, but God will heal you.
You might or trip on a log lying across the path, but God will pick you up.
The path may be overgrown from little use and difficult to walk through, but God will make your feet steady.
The path may be muddy and you will get dirty sometimes, but God will cleanse you.
Following the path may be lonely because there are few others that travel it, but God will always be there to keep you company.
The path may seem dark at times when you are in a valley covered by the trees, but God’s light is always present even when it seems dark.
The path may be scary, but God will give you peace.
Walking the path might make you tired and weary from all the hard work, but when you get to the end of the path, God will give you rest in his arms and give you an eternal home in heaven and you can rejoice with the others that you showed the path to.
And did I mention all the awesome scenery along the way? God gives us a joy in this life that we can never know without Him!

Psalm 19:8 The precepts (a commandment or direction given as a rule of action or conduct.) of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart.

The Word (Which is Jesus, by the way- John 1:1-5) is the only way. The work and study is hard, but if we learn and follow, the results are incredible. When we learn and follow God’s voice, through his Word, we will be enlightened in a way we have never known before. And if we have any difficulties along the way, all we need do is ask the Lord and whether it is love, peace, joy, wisdom, or whatever we truly need, he will give it to us. He is faithful beyond what we can imagine! As earthly beings we can’t even comprehend His ways, but rest assured they are good and will lead you through this life of love, peace, and joy, to a new life of eternally being in His presence.

No comments: