Monday, April 21, 2008

Christian Slang Words and Phrases

I recently ran across an old blog topic and discussion about the word “sucks”. In this case it was a t-shirt that was printed with the words “hell sucks”. The blogger questioned whether people (other Christians) would think he was a fuddy-duddy because he felt it was inappropriate. Further on in the discussion, other phrases and words were questioned as well, such as “darn”, “oh my god”, and even “crap”. All of these word are questionable when we are trying to be an example of Christ, but later on I'll get into the ones that use God's name specifically.

As far as the t-shirt and the marketing tactics used, I think they call this type of product a conversation starter. Seems like some Christians want non-Christians to think that they are "cool". I assume, figuring that they think that they can get their foot in the door with this person long enough to tell them about Jesus...hopefully. But, unfortunately, slipping ever so slightly over the edge of morality. The problem with that is that this is also something that sometimes leads non-Christians to think that all of the church is full of hypocrites. At times non-believers are more aware of morals than many so-called Christians are, and that is exactly what they will call you, a “so-called” Christian. Don’t get me wrong, Christians do mess up, Christians even sin sometimes, but making the solid choice to sin or even to let your morals slip slightly, can allow Satan to pull a non-believer even farther away from God than they already are. And the main goal here is to save souls, right?

You might say, “But it’s just a joke, it’s funny, doesn’t God have a sense of humor?” I’m sure He does. But is this funny? No. You might even tell me to lighten up, loosen up, that it’s not a big deal. But it is a big deal. It is serious. God expects us to have great morals. If we're following Jesus, not just believing in God but believing in what God believes in, then we have a book that tells us how to live, the Bible. And if we have truly given our lives to Christ, then we will obey the law of God. Ephesians 5:4 says "Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving." Could this be a form of the coarse joking mentioned in this verse? (The wise in heart are called discerning, and pleasant words promote instruction. Proverbs 16:21) God wants us to have fun, be happy, and even joke around. (He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy.- Job 8:21) But JOY does not come from crude jokes and sayings, but from the LORD! The Word even says that the joy of the LORD is our strength. That’s pretty powerful considering the context of this topic. Think about it: That is saying that when we are happy because we believe in God, we follow His word and we share it with others, then they will see that joy as our strength. They will desire that same impenetrable joy that we have, and we can show them how they can have it.

About the phrase “oh my god”. So, you’re out shopping and you see something that you have been looking for but haven’t been able to find. You exclaim “Oh! My God! That will look perfect in my living room!” Or when someone jumps out from around the corner and says boo! You say “Oh my god! You scared me!” Or when you see something gross you say “Oh my god, that is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen!” Do you think that is okay? That it is not using God’s name in vain? Here are a few definitions for the word vain from dictionary.com.

Vain:
Senseless or foolish.
Without effect or avail; to no purpose.
In an improper or irreverent manner.
Not yielding the desired outcome; fruitless.
Lacking substance or worth.
Devoid of real value, unprofitable.
Idle, empty.
Having no real substance, value, or importance.
Void, worthless, unsatisfying.

The following are a few questions related to the definition of the word vain. These will help you check your words before God. Ask yourself these questions when you say or preferably before you say one of these slang phrases that involve God's name:

Reverence: Is it showing profound respect for God? How about affection? Is it an example of devotion to God?
Fruitful: Is it beneficial? Does it produce good results? Is it profitable for the kingdom of God?
Substance: Does it show solid character or quality? Does it come from the heart?
Value: Does it have worth or importance? Does it show your love and affection for God? Does it show God’s excellence? Does it show that you have high esteem for Him?

How about “oh my gosh!” you ask? That’s just slang, isn’t it? It really has nothing to do with God. So you say? Well, lets look into that definition. The only definition I found for gosh that does not describe it as an expression or exclamation (in other words a slang or phrase.) is this:

GOSH-- 1757, altered pronunciation of God. Probably from 'by gosse' (mid-16c.).

Now that we know right where that slang or phrase came from, do we still want to use it? I should hope not. You wouldn’t say “oh my holy spirit” or “oh my father” or something similar to that unless you were talking directly to our LORD in worship and reverence. Why say something that is hurtful to the heart of our Father in heaven? Hurting God is sin. "I have resolved that my mouth will not sin." Psalm 17:3

And now you ask, what about “oh my gawd!” Here you must realize that gawd is not even a word in the English language. What is it? It’s a slang word to replace God in this particular expression so that people can make themselves feel comfortable assuming that they are not taking the LORD’s name in vain, therefore twisting the Word of God to their own benefit. If I’m going to blurt out a blasphemy, changing how I spell the word isn’t going to change the way God feels about my saying it. The guy who wrote the blog that got me started on this topic, his name was Todd. So I’m going to use his name as an example, mostly just because it rhymes and therefore gets the point across better. What if I said “Todd dammit” every time I got upset or “oh my Todd!” when something scared me out of my wits. Let’s say Todd and I are good friends and he comes up to me and says “ you know, that really upsets me when you say that. It feels like you’re being disrespectful and don’t value me as a friend. As a matter of fact, it makes me feel like you downright don’t like me at all. It also makes others think that you’re just making fun of me. If you really value our relationship at all, you would try not to say my name that way anymore.” and so I say, “Oh, Todd, I am so sorry, now that I know how it bothers you, I wont say it anymore because I don’t want to hurt your feelings and I do want to continue to be friends.” So, I go on my way and a few days later Todd hears me say it again. He would come up to me furious, saying something like “Why are you still saying that? You told me you wouldn’t say it anymore! I told you it hurt my feelings! I guess you just don’t care about me or our friendship at all!” and then I say, “Oh, but Todd, I wasn’t saying your name. I was saying 'Oh my T-A-W-D', not 'oh my T-O-D-D'. I changed the spelling of it so I’m not saying your name anymore and now we can still be friends.” What a conversation! Huh? Todd was still offended!!! Why? Because first of all it’s still said the same way and still means the same thing, although spelled differently, and because when others hear it, they are still hearing the same thing they’ve always heard and thinking about how disrespectful I am being to my friend. Nothing has changed at all. Even though I didn’t think it should be offensive to Todd anymore, because I changed the spelling, he was still offended. I imagine it’s the same way with God. He still finds it disrespectful and wrong and although we may not understand why, the “why” doesn’t matter, the fact that it hurts His feelings does. And the fact that it lowers the value of his name to others, is also disrespectful. The “why” can be summed up in one bible verse. “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.” Isiah 55:8-9

This is all about what’s in our heart. If we truly have it in our heart to please God we will learn what he likes and dislikes. We will truly get to know him so that we will know what upsets him and what makes him happy and we will live our lives accordingly. The word of God is a refining fire. It will purify your heart. Keep reading and studying the word of God and it will cleanse you.

The word of God is living and active…it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12) So whether you eat, drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31) Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:48)

Proverbs 22:10-12 (NKJV)
Cast out the scoffer, and contention will leave;
Yes, strife and reproach will cease.
He who loves purity of heart
And has grace on his lips,
The king will be his friend.
The eyes of the LORD preserve knowledge,
But He overthrows the words of the faithless.

And last but not least, this is about love and respect. Love and respect for God and for His children. Do you love someone enough to save them from hell? Do you love someone enough to be truthful and honest with them? Do you love someone enough to be a perfect example to them of how to show reverence to God? Sadly, many don’t. In our world, children are not taught how to show reverence to God or respect him in any way. They are taught to believe in what makes them feel good, and that God is what they want him to be, expecting Him to believe in what they believe in rather than them believing in what God believes in. In being taught selfish ways, they have little respect for parents, other adults or even authority figures. Respect is not taught, it’s learned. It is communicated by the respect that the parents (or caregivers) and mentors show others and the respect that they show God. If my children observe that I respect God and other people, they will learn respect as well. I can’t just demand that they respect someone without showing them how. If you love all of God’s children, you will want to teach respect by example. One way to do that is showing reverence to God in the words you speak.

The bible says “Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few.” (Ecclesiastes 5:2) That verse is a bit vague as to why, but I believe it is saying that there is more to heaven than we know, it is God’s Kingdom! Not some quaint little town with some little mayor who thinks he knows it all. His kingdom contains and is more than we could ever imagine. And God is the creator of it all! He is the only King and is in control of everything. He can do anything! So in the end, would you, standing in the presence of God most High on judgment day, feel completely comfortable saying one of these ‘slang’ words or phrases in front of him? Or would you keep your mouth shut because you know it would hurt him and knowing his powers and abilities, even be afraid of what he might do or say to you?

Enjoy your day and let God do his work in you, convicting you, refining you, purifying you, and loving you.

Have a blessed day!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you witness to someone whose every other word is derogatory slang? Should we be offended? Should we point out their shortcomings in the eyes of the Lord? Can they come to our church the next day and expect a welcome? Can the context in which they speak help to define whether they are speaking evil (against God or another)? Are they simply using words without the intent of heart to harm or hinder? We tend to use our eyes and ears to judge people, while we know God looks at their heart. To say Christians sin "sometimes" is a cruel joke. Christians sin more frequently than sometimes, especially if God looks at the intentions and motives of our hearts. That, however, is the fallen state of humanity - and the very basis by which God gave up His Son. Our need is every day . . . definitely not sometimes. Our culture, our children, our schools - are not as they once were. Reading levels have grossly dropped, and some suburbs lack the materials to even teach a skill like reading effectively. It's no wonder that illiteracy is the leading cause of homelessness. Here, friend, is the point. If our children understand that "hell sucks," (and it truly will - eternal separation from God is a choice, not a punishment) . . . if it starts a conversation that leads to faith - then by all means print the t-shirts. If hypocrisy is our worry, then we're destined to fail because we will fail . . . time and time again, and sometimes right in front of a non-believer. Some of these slates of hypocrisy rise from Christians who condemn other people for their improper language (displaying an attitude of "I'm better than you because I don't swear - though they may have the purest of intentions) when these people are simply speaking the way they were brought up to speak (the hypocrisy coming from Christianity being about God's love but being turned into the persecution of the non-believer). The claims of hypocrisy against Christians are legitimate. There-in lies the misnomer. Christ, however, is in no way hypocritical. Salvation is meant for all men, crude or refined. The church is not to develop propriety amidst the darkest corners of the earth. Propriety comes from the work that the Holy Spirit does within each person - to whatever varying degree that God intended. Some will never fully break from certain habits, and some will do as Paul did and "become" what was necessary to bring salvation. I suppose the final point is this: Christ called for people willing to listen . . . those with ears to hear . . . and then He delivered them parables that confused them - so much so - He would later have to explain to the apostles what He meant by the message.
(cont'd - a simple fisherman)

Anonymous said...

Funny, most people think that if Christ were to walk the earth today He would preach of His love and His sacrifice. He knew that people were going to judge Him, to develop opinions about His so-called "coming kingdom." His messages were hard, yet no less profound and full of a pleading to "listen" and to "understand." The way is narrow, hate everything else but the Father and Me, the Kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, to follow Me you must be willing to accept that the world will condemn and scoff at you - they may even kill you as they will kill Me. He didn't say that, but how would they have responded if He did? Sorry - the point was long coming: The world will judge us hypocritical, and a myriad of other fun adjectives that mean we're imperfect. If a t-shirt that says "hell sucks" is what will open a door to save my beloved cousin in Missouri, that he might come to understand that the whole of humanity is broken and imperfect - while learning that Christ and God are perfect and unchanging and the means to salvation . . . then by all means, may he cuss up a storm and be entertained by the truth of the t-shirt. The world will find reasons to condemn and defame us beyond what is already common. May we be open to understanding that their language does not determine their eternal destination. It is a desirable trait, imitating Christ, to develop an awareness of propriety and morality. Some will not understand that their language may be harmful because in their hearts they truly mean no harm. All this written simply because one of our greatest sins is claiming acceptance while practicing segregation and prejudice (yes, you can be prejudiced against a person who uses foul language). I often wonder if any of the apostles had this issue in the presence of Christ, and if Christ said anything.
Much love to my brethren in Christ, and for our fallen world.
- a simple fisherman

2C33 said...

I agree that you can't just walk up to someone who is not saved and point out their shortcomings. But this article was geared toward true CHRISTians who are to be an example to others. Once a person becomes a Christian, we are cleansed through the Word of God. I do understand that non-Christians do not intend to be sinful in their hearts by saying or doing some of the things they do, but as CHRISTians, we are convicted by the Lord through His Word and should know the things that are wrong or inappropriate. Am I saying that saying 'hell sucks' will keep you out of heaven? Not at all. That really is up to God, not me, and I am not to judge. But we should be careful of the words that come out of our mouths and also of our actions. I try not to judge others for their talk or deeds. But as Christians, we are to teach others the things of God. We are to hold other Christians accountable and show them when they are doing something that is contrary to God's word. Never in a demeaning way or looking down upon someone else for their wrongdoing, but to show them what is right and pure.

One example, I used to smoke, even after I became a Christian, you could even say I was brought up that way since I came from a family of smokers. I did finally cut down to 1-2 a week, thinking that "I" was doing pretty good, but when God pointed out to me that I was being a horrible example to others (my husband, specifically) by continuing to smoke and proclaiming that I am a Christian, I finally had to quit. Why was it so bad for me to continue on in a sin (taking part of something that I knew was completely bad for my body/temple)that I thought wasn't so bad, considering that I went from 1+ packs a day, to 1-2 cigarettes a week? Because it wasn't about me, it was about others who look at me and think "She says she's a Christian, but her actions haven't really changed". How can I give God the credit for cleansing me when I refuse to let him pour the water over my head?

Prov. 16:21 The wise in heart are called discerning, and pleasant words promote instruction.

Read the verse above and tell me this: Should we not choose our words carefully and teach in accordance with the Word of God? Should we not just speak His words to others and let Him do His work in that person? Or should we do it our way, crude or lewd as it may be, and hope that the person we are talking to will come to Christ through OUR actions? I choose to let God work through me, even when I don't think His way will work.
Throughout the Bible it tells us to walk in "his ways", somehow I just can't picture God wearing a 'hell sucks' t-shirt. Can you?

2C33 said...

Godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. 1 Tim 4:8

This then, is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence, Whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts and he knows everything. Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God and receive from him anything we ask because we obey His commands and do what pleases Him. And this is his command: to believe in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 1 John 3: 19-23

Pastor Black said...

First I wanted to thank you for the article. I am a Pastor, and I am preaching through 3 books right now in the Bible chapter by chapter and verse by verse. The Book of revelation, and the book of Psalms are two that I will reference here.

I have been saved for 22 years. Over these 22 years, I have seen the world creeping into the church at an alarming rate. Not only the church, but Christians as well. There are those that live wholeheartedly for the Lord, and try through his grace to live up to the name of Christian (Which means Christ Like).

However there are others that take Christianity, and water it down so the world might like it better. I am referring to the "Hell Sucks" t-shirt.

Christianity does not need to be watered down, it needs to be lived, and the gospel needs to be told to the multitudes. Not through some silly t-shirt, but by our own lips and through the Word of God. The Bible says.. "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God" Rom 10:17 It doesnt say anything about t-shirts.

Now back to the phrase "Hell Sucks". It does alot more then that. What that t-shirt does, is even waters down hell. Hell is torments, and flames and anguish forever. Why not put that on a t-shirt?

The world is looking for a difference, not something that looks like the world, acts like the world, tastes like the world, yet has Christianity in it somewhere. There needs to be a clear defining.

For the record, I would be ashamed to wear a t-shirt that said that. My 19 year old son and 16 year old son, both said they would be ashamed to be seen in that as well.

The Bible says "seek ye the old paths, wherein is the good way, and ye shall find rest for your souls." Jer 6:16

The true rest comes from the old fashioned ways, the old fashioned values. The church and Christianity, was its absolute strongest when the church was least like the world.

Now we have a gray mush, and no clear right or wrongs in Christianity. However, there are clear guidelines and directions that can be found in the Bible, but we must follow them.

I wont go into using the Lords name in vain. That was brought out very nicely in the article that was written. In fact I might even use a couple of the illustrations for my sermons this Sunday.

Incidentally. I am preaching in Revelation Ch 3 and Psalm Ch 5. Those chapters really give us an idea of where we are now, and the thinking that has pervade our Christian circles. Lukewarm comes to mind, foolish speaking and many things of that nature.

Anyway, thanks again for the article. I enjoyed it.

2C33 said...

Thank you Pastor Black for your comments. You have added a new favorite verse to my list, Jer 6:16. I used to be worldly, but once I let Christ into my life, I long for the old fashioned ways. I homeschool my children, I don't look to material things to satisfy my desires, I try to take care of my family frugally, making what we can, and cooking from scratch to be healthier. On the surface some of these things might not seem necessary, but underneath there are personal reasons for each thing that I do that involve my love and respect for God and my desire to stay away from worldly ways.

As far as the cursing and ungodly slang, those things were the first thing God ever convicted me of. I truly believe that they are very important. The bible tells us to act in a godly manner, to use self control.

The one who sows to please his sinful nature will reap distruction, the one who sows to please the Holy Spirit will reap eternal life. (gal 6:7) I truly believe that when we accept worldly things into our life we are sowing from a selfish and sinful nature.

Here is another brief thought on the subject that I had the other day. When Eve gave Adam the fruit and he ate of it, he knew it was wrong but accepted it because Eve offered it to him. Don't we do the same things in our lives? Someone says "oh I love this TV show" and we may know its not really a good show but we just accept it into our home because the world accepts it as not that bad.

Thanks for reading all of my scattered thoughts!
God bless!